Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sevilla Later: FAQ

Ever since the announcement of The Move 2.0, Jay and I have fielded a lot of the same questions about the decision. They are, of course, all valid, as our friends don't share the same brain, but because I'm procrastinating packing, I've decided to round up the eight questions we're consistently asked, for your inquisitive reading pleasure.

Q: How did you guys decide to do this?
A: Well, the frou-frou answer is that we both love to travel and living abroad is something that we've both always wanted to do, before we even met. Now, that's mostly true. But the honest answer is, after I initially (and half jokingly) presented the idea, he later called my bluff on how serious I was. Then I called his on researching an apartment. Next, he called me out on putting a deposit down, and so on and so forth. So, here we are.

Q: Why Seville?
A: We were split on where to go. I wanted Italy, he wanted Spain. After a few weeks of deadlock, one afternoon we were at Sunswick, talking to a 20-something bartender who had grown up all over Europe. We asked what his favorite place was in all of Europe and he said Seville. We researched it, and loved that it's a university town and is pedestrian friendly. Plus, the idea of daily siestas, nightly tapas and warm weather was a huge draw. Oddly, neither of us have ever been to Spain.

Q: Do either of you speak Spanish?
A: After six years of Spanish classes in high school and college, I'm conversational, at best. Jay can say, "Hola! Que tal? Me llamo Jay!" I think we're in for a big shock upon our arrival.

Q: Why just three months?
A: Because that's the longest you can go without needing a visa. After that, if they find you, they kick you out and you are not allowed back into any country in the EU for at least two years.

Q: Are you sure you'll come back?
A: Yes. We both have leases to get back to, plus, I imagine getting paid in dollars but living with the euro can't be sustained for very long.

Q: Will you travel around while you're there?
A: Absolutely, as our budget allows. We have earmarked Morocco and Paris specifically. (Suggestions on where to go are welcome in the comments below.)

Q: Are you nervous/excited/packed?
A: Yes/yes/see above.

Q: OMG, you're soooo coming back engaged!
A: No. Not that I've asked--more like relayed the recurring question--and have very gently been told it's not going to happen.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites